15 Minutes before bedtime!

I’ve been working on my website all day, and I have managed to almost finish three out of my list of seven things to work on my website.

If any of you were lucky enough to be visiting my website more than five minutes ago then you would of seen “(new)” at the end of the title of every web page. That is because I have replaced the PHP classes I have used to create the site layout with three simple includes. There is only one part left to go and that is the blog, but thats next!

The next two changes are on the homepage.
One, I have got rid of the “Whats New” section.
And two, I have replaced my RSSread PHP program with some PHP to include the latest blog entries straight from the database!

I’ll post more details about changes as and when I complete them!
Till next time, see you!

Five minutes left till bedtime now, and the subscriptions plugin is working, but it sends an email even if I edit a post!

Room 101!

Well, Ok, not room 101, more like post 101! Lol!
I cant believe that its been more than a month since my last post, doesn’t time fly!?!

Since my last post there has been a few things happen, some I had thought about posting about, but I just haven’t been able to get the time!

The nights are now drawing in, and the past few days has been sunny, unlike May and June!

I am now on a three week rolling rota at work, I am now working one in every three weekends.
Staying with work, one of the warehouse colleagues is cutting back his hours, and I’m taking over his Tuesdays, and will be bringing in deliveries!

Me and my girlfriend are still together, and on Sunday we go off on holiday to Jersey for a week. We will be camping. Its my first holiday on my own, and my girlfriends first out of the country!

One of my other less known websites http://linux.roganty.co.uk/ is being worked on. And I have nearly completed it. I just need to tidy it up, and make it more presentable

The spam count has reached 7,800. That’s 2,800 in just over a month! Thank you Akismet!

I think that’s it, for this post!
And hopefully not for another month!

RSSread Version 2

This is just some ideas that I have about new features in the next release of RSSread

  1. Cache. The next release will have a cache. If the feed doesn’t load, it’ll load from the cache.
  2. Templates. This is a biggie, and will define how feeds are displayed on the screen.
  3. Category Sorting. If a feed has categories, then RSSread will either sort items by categories, or only display certain categories.
  4. Multiple feeds in one. Combine multiple feeds into one display.
  5. Multiple config files. Load different config files for different feeds and/or pages
  6. Support for different feed types, for example, Atom, RDF, RSS 0.92. These will be kept as separate modules, and added to as new formats come along, or old ones are updated.

Some of these features I was thinking about in the last release. For example, templates is in v1, but it is only basic; multiple config files, it is in its basic format, ie, changing settings by calling a function.

The other features, are either requests, or ideas I have had about what should be included.

I haven’t yet started development of version 2, that will start late 2006, early 2007, and will probably be released sometime in mid to late 2007

Update RSSread to 1.5

RSSread 1.5 fixes a couple of bugs that were discovered by Luis.

Some links in the feed weren’t being parsed correctly if they included a “&” (&) character.
This only becomes apparent if the value of the tag is not wrapped in a <![CDATA[]]> tag.
This is due to the way xml_parse() handles special characters like “&” (&)

I have also fixed a couple of bugs that might occur for the other tags.

You can download the updated version from:
http://downloads.roganty.co.uk/?get=/rss_read
-Or-
http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/2831.html

Instructions for updating your version of RSSread can be found in this post here

Update RSSread to 1.4

RSSread 1.4 fixes a bug that effects the layout of posts when viewed with no shortening

It is down to a little spelling mistake, that I haven’t noticed before now.
In three places i used “nr” instead of “rn” which caused single new lines not to show up, whereas double new lines (or more) would not display the proper number of new lines.

In this release another bug is fixed in posts when viewed with shortening enabled.
This bug only became apparent when the previous bug was fixed, and it is to do with some of the for loops in the shortenPost() function.

You can download the updated version from:
http://downloads.roganty.co.uk/?get=/rss_read
-Or-
http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/2831.html

Rename your original rss_read.class.php as something else, for example old_rss_read.class.php and then extract the new rss_read.class.php file into the same folder.
You will now need to open both files in a text editor of your choice, and start copying any of the variables that you changed from the old file into the new one.
Now save the new file and close the text editor.
Browse to the page that includes/uses RSSread to verify that your settings are still the same.
Weldone, you have now updated RSSread, and moved all of your settings over to the new version.
If there are any differences, you will need to double check that the variables in the new file have been over writen with the variables from the old file.